Kalvin Phillips completed a £45m move to Manchester City

Kalvin Phillips completed a £45m move to Manchester City (Picture: Getty)

Manchester City summertime signing Kalvin Phillips was 'honoured' to be linked with a move to Manchester United but insists he was 'never' going to join the Ruby Devils due to his 'loyalty' to Leeds United.

Phillips emerged as a target for both Metropolis and United post-obit his impressive performances for Leeds and England, having played a starring role in the 3 Lions' run to the Euro 2020 final.

But Yorkshireman and Leeds fan Phillips had no intention of moving to curvation-rivals Manchester United, instead completing a £45m move to Man Metropolis before this month.

Asked if there was ever a possibility he was going to terminate up at United, Phillips said: 'No, there was never any chance of me going at that place. You know my loyalty to Leeds, my family as well, they're all Leeds fans.

'I was honoured by United wanting me, such a big team – 1 of the biggest teams in the world. Merely no, I had to stay loyal to Leeds and choose to get to the other side of Manchester.'

Asked if his stance was somewhat unusual in mod football, Phillips added: 'I don't know, it'south simply the way I am, the style I think and the manner I'll e'er be.

'I want to be loyal to the people who've given me the biggest opportunity in the world. Leeds were the commencement team to sign me, I fabricated sure that was one of the main things I'd practice.'

Phillips has become a regular for England

Phillips has go a regular for England (Picture: Getty)

Phillips made 235 appearances over eight seasons at Elland Road and still had ii years left on his Leeds deal when he decided to get out.

He put pen to newspaper on a six-year contract with Premier League champions Manchester City and became Pep Guardiola's third summertime signing following the arrivals of Erling Haaland and Stefan Ortega Moreno.

Phillips cannot wait to work with Guardiola at City, even though the Castilian director could go out the Etihad side by side summertime when his electric current contract expires.

'Information technology was the opportunity to be coached by Pep even if it's just for a yr or hopefully longer,' Phillips said.

'I know he's a great manager and he'll elevate my game to a level I desire to be at, and be involved in teams fighting for trophies.

'Also just exist effectually players that brand you a ameliorate player every single twenty-four hour period. The opportunity I was given was one I couldn't turn down.'

More : Glen Johnson urges Chelsea to become 'all out' for Premier League star

More : Man Utd boss Erik ten Hag urged to sign some other Ajax star afterwards Martinez

For more stories like this, cheque our sport page.

Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on Facebook,Twitter and Instagram.